Adjustable Dumbell Reviews and Comparisons
Adjustable dumbbells take up considerably less space than a full set. Say goodbye to weight racks that take over the entire living room.
These are perfect for young urbanites in small apartments, for minimalists, and for appeasing a spouse who does not want a full set of workout equipment to be an eyesore in the living room or home gym area. In fact, you do not even have to have a dedicated home gym area if you purchase a pair.
You can stow them away in the closet and pull them out whenever you want to work out. You can also save a great deal of money by going this route.
A complete traditional set costs more than one pair of adjustable dumbbells. If you have already made the choice to buy free weights instead of a space-consuming workout machine, then you are on the right track.
Just take it one step further and try out this product. You could easily spend thousands of dollars on several different pieces of exercise equipment just to workout different muscle groups.
However, you can spend about $300 and get one pair of these that you can perform a variety of exercises with.
The Many Reasons Lifting Weights Is a Great Workout
Now that you know the many advantages that come with purchasing this product, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the many benefits that you get from lifting weights as a workout. They not only help you add variety to your routines, but they are soft on your muscles and joints as well. Here are the reasons you need them.
They Are Easy on Your Joints
This form of workout is easy on the joints, which is great if you are a fitness fanatic. The weights are lighter on your shoulders and elbows, making for a more enjoyable workout. This also means you can get more fitness sessions in because your body will be able to handle more.
They Typically Make for a Safer Workout
There are many things that are riskier when you perform them. For example, if you incorporate back lunges into your routine while holding dumbbells, this is a lot safer than holding a barbell if you lose your balance, which could result in serious injuries.
While it is obviously possible for you to get hurt in any form of exercise, this reduces the risk because falling out of balance while holding these gives you the ability to throw them out of the way before they hurt you.
Just be sure you are using the proper weight that is right for you, while also doing the routines with great form to avoid getting injured in any way.
It is possible to get hurt with these as well, so it is a good idea to either go to a personal trainer to learn the proper way, or do your own research online until you master it.
Studies Say You Lose at Least 40 Percent More Fat Than Other Workouts
While it is true that cardio is one of the best ways to shake off those extra pounds, lifting weights can produce the same results. Mixing aerobic workouts with weight training is the best way to finally lose the weight you have been carrying around.
When you lift, you lose pure fat, rather than fat and muscle which can be lost when you strictly do cardiovascular exercises.
While losing muscles can make your scale weight lower, it does not make your appearance better. In fact, it can make you flabbier due to the loss.
This is why combining both of these things leads to weight loss and an increase in muscle tone, giving you the ideal body you have been trying to achieve.
It Has Been Proven That Hitting the Weight Room Helps You Handle Stress
Whether you have a set aside workout room in your house, or if you simply pull your weights out of the closet when you need them, pumping iron has been proven to help people handle the stress that comes with everyday life.
Whether it is stressful situations at home or at work, you will take on challenges with a more positive and optimistic outlook.
If you are already upset over something that occurred, pull out the dumbbells and within minutes, your blood pressure will lower back to a normal level, and you will feel instantly better.
This is not only something that is beneficial for you, but also for anyone in your life because you will be a happier person.
They Are Incredibly Convenient to Fit in a Quick Session
I think we all can understand being busy and having a tight schedule. Between work, running to pick up the kids from school, or getting errands done throughout the day, it can become so packed you do not have time to focus on your health and fitness.
However, these are great to workout with because they are easy to access and fast to use.
Just grab a set of these weights while you are waiting on the chicken to cook in the oven, or get in some weighted squats during the late-night family movie in the living room.
They make for a convenient way to still get the exercises in, even when you are incredibly busy. You can even take them to the office with you and do 15-30 reps of one move every hour.
This not only helps you stay active, it can also benefit you at work because it gets your mind moving and produces endorphins to help your mood.
They Give You a Healthy Heart
If you simply do three weight workouts incorporating every part of your body a week, it helps to decrease your diastolic blood pressure. This lowers your risks of ever having a heart attack or a stroke in your life.
You Will Live a Longer Life
Working every part of your body with weights not only decreases your risks of heart problems, it lowers the risks of any type of disease, including cancer. Lift them a couple times a week to live a longer life.
Who Should Use Them?
Now, we all know that there are countless ways to get that metabolism going and get fit, and these are all different for everyone. So, who are dumbbell weights ideal for?
They Are Great for Those Who Are Already Suffering from Injuries
If you are currently already in pain from a previous accident, or have an existing injury of any kind, you may want to make this type of exercise a staple in your routine.
This allows your body to still get the training it needs, while also taking it easy on the areas that are hurt or still in pain.
They Make an Excellent Workout for the Elderly
Barbells can be very dangerous for those who are over the age of 50. While it is obviously great to stay active, no matter what age you are, it is wise to be well-informed regarding what types of weights are safe for you to use. As we said earlier, these are easier on the joints and on soft tissue as well.
Beginners in Strength Training Should Use Them
If you are a beginner when it comes to strength training, this is the best and safest way to get your feet wet. It can be pretty intimidating picking up a large heavy weight and trying to do your normal exercises with 20+ pounds on you. This is why it is an excellent idea to start off with lighter dumbbells.
The great thing is, they vary all the way from three pounds to 50+. This gives you the ability to mix and match and even change it up depending on the move you are performing. If you have a great squat, try doing it with heavier weights. However, if you are not so confident when it comes to reverse lunges, maybe take it a few pounds down until you become better at it.
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- The Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells help to set the mark for everything else. Each one can adjust from five to 52.5 pounds, and you can fine-tune the weight you want in 2.5-pound increments. Plus, they look great.
- They have a simple red-and-black color palette, and they can be displayed on gunmetal gray docks. They are also really versatile, and you can switch rapidly from one exercise to the next.
- The ability to combine 15 sets of weights into just one with the aid of a unique dial system is a blessing. By simply turning off the dial, you can change your resistance on each one automatically.
- You can switch to different exercises that require different weights quickly and easily without slowing your heart rate down.
- You can gradually increase your strength this way. This product lets you scale up your workout routine so you can tone up, slim down, and make progress over time.
- Plus, the adjustable pair has a two-year warranty. They are very easy to use, which is great because some products on the market can be very hard to handle.
- This makes these unique in being easy to work with. The weights snap easily into each weight slot, and they don’t pop out.
Universal Power-Pak 445 Dumbbells
- The Universal Power-Pak 445s are highly reviewed, and they are a little bit cheaper than other pairs, but not by much. Each dumbbell adjusts from four to 45 pounds, in five-pound increments.
- You don’t get as much precision as you do with the ones that let you adjust in 2.5 increments, but most people are fine with the four-pound adjustments.
- This pair is like getting nine sets of dumbbells in one. Plus, the Universal Power-Pak 445 comes with an ergonomically designed stand that lets you store them easily and display them attractively.
- They are also easy on the hands because they have a durable thermoplastic rubber handle for a very comfortable non-slip grip.
- Interestingly enough, these come with a workout guide to help get you started. These are very easy to use, too.
- One way to distinguish the well-designed weights from the poorly designed ones is how easy they are to adjust, and these are very easy in that department.
- When you want to change the weight, all you have to do is move the dial of the selector to the setting you want. When you pull up the handle, the weights come up as well.
- This makes it possible to take that 10-pound dumbbell and transform it into 30 or 40 pounds.
Weider Speedweight 100
- The Weider Speedweight 100 adjustable dumbbells have a very unique stand that sets them apart from the other highly rated pairs. In addition to the great stand, it comes with 20-minute workouts on three DVDs (Strength & Power, Strength, and Endurance).
- The weights adjust from 15 to 50 pounds in five-pound increments, and from what the reviews say, they are fast and easy to work with.
- These are made out of cast iron, not plastic, so they are very durable. That does not mean that they are uncomfortable to handle, though.
- The ergonomic handgrips mean that they feel comfortable when you’re handling them. The weights come with a three-phase workout plan.
- A Certified Personal Trainer produces each workout, and you can get excellent results if you follow the program.
- The first phase focuses on endurance, the second phase focuses on strength, and the third phase focuses on power. Each phase has a core, back, and chest workout and a legs, arms, and shoulders workout, so you can get a full-body transformation.
- One customer described these as the best you can buy, but they don’t have quite as many reviews as the top pairs. However, nearly all of the reviews for this set are positive.